Figuring out what to do...

Like I said we knew there was something wrong. We all have issues with our memories from time to time. I don't know how many times I've sat something down and then can't remember where I put it, or walk into a room and forget why. Mom's memory trouble went further.

My mom didn't have a regular doctor. She went to one of those chains for doctor services. In my area it's known as Patient first. There is nothing wrong with these doctors, but they didn't see her enough, only when she didn't feel good.

I forced her to go to an in network doctor connected to the hospitals in our area. This way any doctor could access her files. The doctor gave her a cognitive test with the clock.  She asked her to put 4:20 on the clock. Mom drew the clock quickly but started looking at me when she needed help with the rest. I knew better than to give her any real help, but it was my mom. I couldn't leave her hanging.

"What about the numbers?"
"Oh, right!"

I  watched as she put the numbers on the clock. Backwards. She knew there was something wrong because she couldn't figure out where to put the hands.

That was clue number one.

Next was the driving test, which she failed. Mom didn't even make it to behind the wheel. It was the memory aspect of the test she failed, like what a stop sign or yield sign looked like.

That was clue number two.

Now up to this time Mom lived on her own. but when she failed the driving test she had to move in with me. Then I got to see a lot more. She would do things that didn't make sense, or ask me about things that didn't make sense. 

I asked to have mom tested for dementia and on Dec 26th she was diagnosed.

Now I had to figure out what to do first. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Thee to a Lawyer

My mom has been diagnosed with dementia

In the beginning...